Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Fragrance Flashback

So, I was in Walmart today doing some Christmas shopping when I decided to stroll through their fragrance aisle, just for fun. What a trip down memory lane! As I stood there, perusing all the latest fragrances by Brittany, JLo, Shania, and everyone else who has ever had any sort of music career to speak of, I was suddenly plunged back to 7th grade as I got further and further down toward the bottom shelves. There were all my old favorites: Navy, Sand & Sable, Exclamation (just to name a few). And of course, the classic tiny aerosal sprays of imposter designer scents featuring the 80's modern art splash-of-color cans...you know what I'm talking about: The bright yellow lid on a can that said "If you like Giorgio, you'll love PRIMO". Ah, suddenly I was 16 again, and I thought I was so sophisticated.
It was so fun to see all my old favorites there on the shelf. I have often heard that woman associate smells more closely with memory, and I had never experienced that more powerfully than the time I was getting a drink of water in the JSB hallway (at BYU), and some guy walked by wearing Obsession for Men. I turned around quickly because I totally expected to see Ryan (a boy I went out with in high school) walk by. Of course it wasn't, but it certainly brought back all kinds of memories. So strange. And then today, standing in that aisle remembering things like my first date, and what my room looked like when I was 17, and the first time I bought a "real" bottle of perfume (Navy), graduating from the aerosol cans. *sigh* Good times. And why did I ever stop wearing Curve after college? I loved that stuff...maybe I'll have to go retro and revisit my fragrance roots.

1 comment:

Kate said...

OH...sister do I ever feel you on this one. Can you say..."Joop" anyone. Random guy in my art class in college, i think we made out once...but boy when I smell that smell do the memories come back. That and Drakkar, how can you miss that one. Jim's ex wore something I can't remember, but you can always tell from the look on his face when he smells it. So powerful! You are hilarious