Saturday, March 21, 2009

Adventures in Wheat

So, today I went to the Dry Pack Cannery in my continued quest to amass large quantities of dry food to be consumed in the event of the apocalypse.  Covered in the dust from Flour, Fruit Drink Mix, and Powdered Milk, I left feeling quite satisfied with my work and my acquisition of supplies. 

In preparation for this event, I have been recently contemplating how to use wheat.  Just plain old hard wheat.  In the past I have not really considered wheat a great option for food storage for us personally (mostly because I figured I would never get my kids to eat it), but after recent conversations with my sisters and some other friends, I have been inspired to look for more and more ways to use wheat.  So yesterday, I found several recipes online and starting experimenting with some wheat that I had already.  You're right, Cindy, wheat blender pancakes rock!  (OK, my words, not yours).  They were so tasty and the boys LOVED them...although that might have more to do with syrup than the pancakes themselves, but at the very least they didn't spit them out and continued to ask for more.  I guess that just means I need to make sure and have brown sugar and such to make mom's syrup (in the afore-mentioned post-apocalyptic scenario where I cannot buy syrup at the grocery store, of course).  But I digress.  I've seen several different recipes, and I will have to try a few more, but here is the recipe that I found that I liked:

1 Cup Whole Wheat
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1/2 Vegetable Oil
1 Egg
3 tsp Baking Powder
2 TBLS Sugar
1 tsp salt

And now that I am looking at it, I realize I only used 3 teaspoons of sugar instead of 3 TBLS (apparently I cannot read, but whatever), and that seemed sweet enough, so I think I will stick to that.

I also tried making cracked wheat cereal like my Grandma Wahlquist used to make.  I used my Ultimate Chopper (food processor) to chop the wheat up coarsely and then added it to boiling water and salt and simmered it a long time (just like you said, Mom).  I think I need to keep trying.  :(  The fresh cream from the farm might have had something to do with why Grandma's was so good, and since I don't have a cow...  :)  Oh well.

Anyway, those have been my adventures in wheat.  Other ideas that I have recently heard and am ready to try:  Cooked wheat (crock-potted overnight) in Oatmeal, Spaghetti Sauce, Hamburger, etc.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

kelly said...

wheat scares me too!
maybe we should do a special interest class to sample wheat recipes...
=)

Kathy said...

lol. yeah...and maybe someone else can be in charge of that. :)

Shannon said...

Hi Kathy,
just popping by to see what's going on in your corner of the world. Thanks for posting the pancake recipe; I have heard about this, and want to try it. It really is time for me to move my food storage beyond dry cereal and peanut butter...