Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

I'm thankful. For many things. I often forget that when I get caught up in the day to day harried feelings (or the melee, as I like to call it) of raising two small, very energetic, boys. So, I'm always grateful when this time of year rolls around and I am "forced" to think about my blessings. :) So, as I frantically ran around the kitchen, trying to time everything of my first Thanksgiving meal just right, constant interruptions from two toddlers, I thought about what I was grateful for. (Caution: touchy-feely expressions of gratitude ahead...potentially not for the weak of stomach).

First off, I was grateful for a mother who taught me how to cook. As my own boys take an interest in "helping" me cook, I am amazed at how much patience my mother must have had to let us all help her, and sometimes cook on our own as we were growing up. Kudos to you, mom. I'm trying to follow your example. Come to think of it, a lot of the things I thought about that I was grateful for were a result of my mom: sewing (I may not be great at it, but I can whip up a pair of crazy-print elastic waist pants for little boys in no time), crocheting (okay, so my mom taught me to knit, but the desire to create all things yarn related came from her), etc. Maybe I should save some of this for a Mother's Day card, or post, or something...hmm...

I'm also thankful to my mom and sisters who put up with my constant "recipe phone calls": "I need your (insert favorite family food name here) recipe. And Karen, the pie crust with Butter Flavored Shortening worked out delightfully. :)

Other things I am grateful for:
-Andrew, for a zillion reasons, but most recently for the fact that he has done all the dishes this whole Thanksgiving weekend!
-Liam and Caleb, who test my patience and give unconditional love...especially when I'm mad or sad.
-the fact that Caleb sounds like a miniature Arnold with his deep voice and rounded vowels "We bahk to we haus, mom" (Translation: "we're home")
-Andrew's job
-Our family's health
-Our wonderful home
-Good friends
-Times when my sewing machine works
-Electricity
-Modern plumbing
-The grocery store
-The Schwan man

The list goes on, but I'll wrap it up for now. And now, just because it's a virtual impossibility for me to post without including a picture of some sort, here is the latest from our most recent trek with the boys...they both hiked about a mile and half with no help, and at least a third of that was pretty hard uphill stuff. Andrew couldn't be more proud. :)

So, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: