Wednesday, September 16, 2009

And Speaking of Caleb...

So, I always tell the boys not to throw stuff all over the floor. And I am forever telling Caleb that he shouldn't step, or stand, on everything that's on the floor...the DVD cases, books, toys, etc. "Things will break and be gone forever, or you might slip and hurt yourself," I say. "Always better the step on solid ground, Caleb." (I'm sure there's a gospel parallel here somewhere, but I digress...) Does he listen? Of course not. He's two.

So, they were playing in their room the other day, and when I went upstairs, they had strewn pretty much everything around their room, including Liam's super-slippery sleeping bag (you know the kind), which happened to be laying on top of a slick-covered board book. Caleb was throwing the ball, jumping around, landing and running over everything on the floor, naturally. Up goes the ball, up goes Caleb after it, down comes Caleb on to the sleeping bag/book death trap, out fly Caleb's feet and down comes his face on the edge of the window seat in their room. *sigh* Screaming ensues, and when he stands up his cheek bone is already purple and swollen. Poor guy. The cautious and sometimes slightly accusatory looks that I have gotten in various public places (particularly when the children are throwing a fit and making scenes in public) have been an absolutely delightful after effect of the whole traumatic experience.

The best part is that he only cried for a minute or two, and then jumped up and started throwing the ball again. My little tank. :) The sad face he put on today while I took the picture makes him look even more pitiful...


In other boys misbehaving news...today Liam went into a timeout and was in his room for some time...quietly...uh oh. When I went up to have a mom-boy heart-to-heart (ha ha), I was greeted by the following (the explanation of which was that he wanted to color a picture for me...on his arm). Good thing I buy washable markers. :)



5 comments:

jan123 said...

Thanks for a good laugh!

Barbara J. Wahlquist said...

Ohmigosh! How cute! The blog as well as the pictures. Your "play structure" looks really cool. Hope they have a good time on it. Mom

Barbara J. Wahlquist said...

I guess I should add that I am sorry about the eye. Boy, does that bring back memories of some black eyes of your siblings. I don't remember if you ever had one or if people had learned more "life lessons." Mom, again.

Paige said...

Ouch! He is a tank. And those are the cutest boys. I love reading your posts because I can hear your voice in my head, narrating the story. Makes it even more fun.

kelly said...

i have to say, that black eye is the perfect accessory for caleb!