Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Warning: Deep Mommy Thoughts Ahead

The drive home from the cousins house today was so beautiful it was almost painful. Coming down the hill in the sunshine through the wooded area that is vibrant with new spring greens everywhere. And white blossomed trees and bushes on both sides of the road. It was gorgeous! And since both boys fell asleep immediately in the car, it gave me plenty of time to reflect. It's no secret that I've been... um... shall we say... "challenged" by the boys lately. Feeling like I can't win, like no matter what tone I use, or tactic I employ, no matter how kind and patient I try to be that it always ends with one or both of the boys screeching, yelling, growling, or otherwise disrespecting me when they don't like what I have to say (this is true confession time, here).

My wonderful mom always reminds me that there is "a time and a season for all things", and I especially have to think about this at my current stage of life. There will be a time to do and accomplish all the (unnecessary) things that I'd like to, be it performing in theater, singing in the choir, keeping on top of the laundry, the list is endless... but now is not that time. Right now is the time to focus on my children... appreciate the stage of life they are in (for better or for worse), NOT wish away their childhood, and to try... really try (which is often not easy) to remain happy and positive and patient and loving in my interactions with them. Because I want them to be happy and positive and patient and loving people. And if I don't teach them that, who will? (Besides their dad, of course). :) I'm trying...and that's all I can ask of myself.

1 comment:

Paige said...

There is this quote at the mommy and me class where I take Sommer, "When raising young children the days are long but the years are short." It is so true, but also the hardest thing to remember at times. You're doing great.